Personnel Code (PerCode)
A. RECRUITMENT PROCEDURES
- 1. All Central Level Member positions shall be advertised and posted on the Member Hiring Committee website and by other digital means, and paper copies shall be distributed to the houses for posting.
- a. During the second half of the semester, the Hiring Committee Chair will contact all members who hold Central Level positions and elucidate which positions will be vacant. Unfilled positions will be re-advertised and hired for at the end of the current semester or the beginning of the following semester.
- 2. All announcements and advertisements shall contain the statement, “The BSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.”
- 1. All applications for positions shall be kept for two years for persons not hired. Applications of persons employed shall be kept for five years after their departure from the BSC.
- 2. Applications shall be kept confidential, and shall be available only to those persons entitled to participate in the hiring for the position which the application is submitted for.
- 3. Applications shall not solicit information that discriminates against protected classes as defined by the BSC, state, and federal laws.
- 4. The BSC is an equal opportunity employer. Each application shall have a separate optional information page for the purpose of self-identification of those who wish to be considered under equal opportunity policies. This information shall only be disclosed when consensus cannot be reached by the Member Hiring Committee in choosing among equally qualified applicants. The information page shall not be made available to Hiring Committee members. This information will also be used for statistical purposes and to evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment programs.
- 5. No late applications will be accepted.
- 6. Lost or late applications shall not be the responsibility of the BSC or any of its agents.
C. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY IN HIRING
- 1. All persons responsible for hiring, including members of the Member Hiring Committee and all house-level managers, shall be familiar with the equal opportunity employment policies upon starting their respective jobs.
- 2. Reasonable accommodation shall be made through job modifications to allow a member with disabilities to perform a job, including job-sharing proporsals.
D. HIRING CENTRAL LEVEL MEMBER EMPLOYEES
- 1. It shall be the responsibility of the Executive Director in conjunction with the hiring supervisor to publicize a description and summary of qualifications for the position, and undertake appropriate advertising.
- 2. The Hiring Committee Chair in conjunction with the Executive Director and/or Direct Supervisor shall review written applications to decide whom to interview from among the qualified applicants, and they shall also formulate interview questions.
- 3. There shall be a two step reporting procedure for Member Hiring Committee decisions:
- a. A decision shall be made and recorded on the applications of persons interviewed by the Member Hiring Committee.
- b. The Member Hiring Committee shall be asked to name an alternate. The alternate’s status shall be noted on his/her application. The Committee may decline to name an alternate.
E. HIRING OF CENTRAL LEVEL MEMBER POSITIONS OF 10 HOURS OR LESS
- 1. For all member positions at 10 hours/week or less that are not part of the workshift pool process, hirings will work as follows:
- a. The supervisor will select based upon applications and, as necessary, interviews (whether by phone or in-person).
- b. They will submit to the Hiring Committee Chair a brief statement about why they selected that particular candidate over the others.
- c. HiCom Chair will have until the end of the next business day to discuss with the supervisor, and/or - as necessary - veto the decision, triggering a normal hiring process.
F. TEMPORARY MEMBER EMPLOYEES
- 1. It shall be the responsibility of the Executive Director, in conjunction with the Direct Supervisor to publicize a description and summary of qualifications for the position, and to undertake appropriate recruitment.
- 2. The Executive Director in conjunction with the Direct Supervisor shall review written applications, select interviewee(s) from among the qualified applicants, and make a final selection from among those interviewed.
G. ON-CALL EMPLOYEES The Human Resources Manager or designee shall maintain a list of on-call employees.
[Updated 04/25/13, 04/26/12]