VI.D. BSC IT Specifications
|This page is not linked anywhere, which means it is probably not current policy. |
Editors can improve navigability by changing it to a redirect to the policy that replaced it, if applicable. Members and staff should treat anything on this page as purely historical.
This has overlap with IV.M._BSC_Unit-Level_Internet_Technology_Fund--BSCIT but it's not identical.
The BSC has a central IT strategy (known as BSCIT) in which any unit may chose to participate. BSCIT is a network specification that will be supported by the Central Level IT Coordinator.
The 'Ideals' of BSCIT (at the time of it's founding) are for members to have:
- Wifi blanketing the unit which is free from multi-day outages at speed enough for academic purposes.
- A Personal Computer for each Unit
- Printing Facilities for each Unit.
The 'Performance Goals' of BSCIT (at the time of it's founding) are:
- Bandwidth up to approximately 1Mbps/person of total capacity allowing streaming video large file upload/downloads.
- Strong wi-fi signal strength in each bedroom; 10 to 20 users per wireless access point. *“Quality of Service” functionality on the network should the Unit want to use it.
- A PC or Mac desktop per unit.
- A laserjet network-accessible Printer
- A repository for network managers to share solutions to network problems of the BSCIT system.
In order for BSCIT to accomplish these tasks the IT Coordinator will present a report by the end of each Spring Semester to ITCom providing recommendations on updates to the 'Ideals' list, the 'Performance Goals,' list and 'Network Specification' list, if any. ITCom will consider the adoption of the proposed specifications. The current network specification will be publicly viewable from the ITCom website.
ITCom will review applications for IT hardware purchases from the Central IT Budget. Requests for funding will be received online through a request form. They will be considered by ITCom having been screened by the IT Coordinator every 5th and 10th week of the semester. Responses to each request will be given by the 7th and 12th week of each semester. To qualify for Emergency funding the unit must contact the IT Coordinator for consultation as soon as possible.
Funds will be awarded based on the following priority:
- BSCIT-compliant purchase or emergency repair of preexisting BSCIT-compliant wares. *Improvements or emergency repairs of wares that are non-BSCIT, but BSCIT-equivalent in supporting performance goals.
- Other purchases at ITCom discretion.