Senior Maintenance Crew Member
General Job Description: A Senior Maintenance Crew Member performs maintenance, repair and improvement work at BSC properties and assists in training central-level crew, house maintenance managers, and house-level crew in repair and maintenance techniques. Senior Maintenance Crew Members assess and plan for maintenance, repairs, and improvements needed and oversee contractors working on approved projects. Senior Maintenance Crew Members must possess the ability and desire to provide excellent customer service and work effectively in a cooperative, student-run organization.
- 1) Provide prompt and effective response to the maintenance needs of all BSC houses and apartment complexes, as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- 2) Use a maintenance request database, including viewing assigned jobs, updating work performed on assigned jobs and communicating with students regarding status of work performed on a daily basis.
- 3) Working from written and oral instructions, perform journeyman level repairs and improvements in one and be operational in the following areas: complex plumbing, electrical, locksmithing, carpentry, heating & mechanical, major commercial kitchen appliances, roofing, drywall, etc.
- 4) Purchase and deliver materials, as needed.
- 5) Develop basic written plans/drawings of work to be performed done.
- 6) Review and code invoices and receipts and keep accurate mileage and timekeeping records.
- 7) Assess and make recommendations to the Maintenance Supervisor for approval of projects that address the maintenance and improvement needs of assigned properties, including Board Approved Projects (BAPS), House Approved Projects (HAPS) and Disabled Access Projects (DAPS).
- 8) Manage all aspects of work by contractors on approved projects, including soliciting and evaluating competing bids, recommending contracts for approval by the Maintenance Supervisor, and supervising the work.
- 9) Assist with Preventative Maintenance Inspections and Room Condition Reports and associated follow-up repairs, as needed.
10) Maintain the day-to-day functioning of the major systems, fixtures and equipment at assigned BSC properties.
- 11) Respond to requests from the Maintenance Supervisor regarding emergency overtime and perform emergency repairs, as needed.
- 12) Other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- 1) In conjunction with the Maintenance Supervisor, mentor and help train Maintenance Crew Members and Rochdale/Fenwick Crew Members.
- 2) In conjunction with the Maintenance Liaison, support and mentor house-level maintenance managers and the student apartment maintenance crew.
- 3) Participate in and help teach workshops for co-op residents on basic home improvement tasks such as patching, painting, unclogging toilets, making window screens, etc.
- 4) Attend regular CM Maintenance Crew meetings and monthly BSC Staff meetings.
- 5) Participate in ongoing personal training and development opportunities.
Skills/Knowledge Required for Job Performance:
- 1.) Experience performing journeyman level work in at least one of the following areas and operational in at least two of the following areas:
- a. General carpentry (framing, sheetrock, trim and finish),
- b. Electrical,
- c. Plumbing,
- d. Heating and mechanical,
- e. Locksmithing
- 2.) Good interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
- 3.) Hands on knowledge of residential buildings maintenance and repair.
- 4.) Ability to work with a diverse array of individuals and student in particular.
- 5.) Excellent problem-solving/troubleshooting skills.
- 6.) Must be able to learn new skills and information quickly and easily and work under pressure and in crisis.
- 7.) Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- 8.) Basic skill with Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel), email, google applications, and familiarity with database programs.
- 9.) Basic math skills.
- 10.) Ability to drive a car or truck.
- 1. )Must have car or truck, a valid California Driver’s License, a good driving record, and basic tools needed for the job.
- 2.) Willingness and ability to carry a mobile telephone and respond to calls when away from the office environment (during regular work hours).
- 3.) Desire to work with students in a student-controlled environment.
Physical Requirements: (Reasonable accommodations available)
- 1. )Ability to perform duties in a normal office environment and at BSC properties, both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- 2.) Ability to talk, listen, stoop, kneel, reach, sit, stand, move, walk about construction sites on uneven terrain, crawl and reach in confined spaces, observe and measure physical attributes of properties in various stages of construction, distinguish shades of color, and engage in repetitive motions.
- 3.) Ability to lift 60 pounds.
- 4.) Ability to operate a computer keyboard, printer, copier, fax and telephone.
Entrance Level Experience and Education Required for Job Performance:
- 1.) Two years of college or equivalent experience working in a college environment.
- 2.) Four years (full-time equivalent) hands-on trade experience.
Skills/Knowledge Strongly Preferred for Job Performance:
- 1.) Experience with student housing cooperatives, democratic, or cooperative living/working environments and willingness to apply the principles and practices of cooperative housing successfully to the job duties and requirements.
- 2.) Interest in teaching and mentoring others in maintenance and repair skills.
- Term of job: Indefinite
- Hours per week: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
- Basic pay rate: Hourly; Level 13 through Level 17
- Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
- Immediate supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor
- Contract: BSCEA
- Revised: Fall 2018
- Approved by Board 12/6/18