General Job Description:
- The Maintenance Technician performs maintenance, repair, and improvement work at BSC properties and assists in training house maintenance managers, and house-level crew in repair and maintenance techniques. Maintenance Technicians must possess the ability and desire to work effectively in a cooperative, student-run organization.
Job Maintenance Tasks:
- Works from written and oral instructions performs limited work in multiple trades to maintain and improve BSC properties, both on a regular and emergency basis.
- Supervises and instructs summer crew, summer workers, and on-call maintenance workers. Provides assistance and training to house maintenance managers and other unit-level workers.
- Purchases and delivers materials as needed.
- Helps coordinate and conduct dump runs for all BSC properties.
- Conducts minor vehicle maintenance and coordinates regular services and repairs for the BSC vehicle fleet.
- Maintains written and computerized records of work done.
- Develops basic written plans/drawings of work to be done.
- Regularly monitors the condition and reports the needs of BSC properties to the Maintenance Director in order to ensure that maintenance issues are addressed.
- Coordinates with outside vendors brought in to perform regular repairs and services (e.g. sewer cleaning, tree trimming, fire alarm testing, electrical/plumbing/HVAC repairs, etc.)
- Maintains and implements an ongoing Preventative Maintenance Plan for assigned properties.
- Maintains the day-to-day functioning of the major systems, fixtures and equipment at assigned properties with the assistance of the Senior Maintenance Technician, as needed.
- Responds to requests from the Maintenance Director regarding emergency overtime, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Director.
Relationship with Board/Membership:
- Leads workshops in building repair and maintenance techniques, for house maintenance managers, other maintenance staff, and BSC members, as requested.
- Participates in regular semester trainings of house maintenance managers.3
- Keeps relevant records and statistics, and reports to Board and management as necessary.
- Maintains good relations with members in BSC properties being worked on.
Skills/Knowledge Required for Job Performance:
- 1. Experience maintaining apartments or hotels is preferred.
- 2. Operational Experience in at least two of the following areas.
- a. General carpentry (framing, sheetrock, trim and finish),
- b. Electrical,
- c. Plumbing,
- d. Heating and mechanical,
- e. Locksmithing
- 3. Valid California Drivers License and ability to drive a car or truck.
- 4. Must be able to learn new skills/and/information quickly and easily and work under pressure and in crisis.
- 5. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- 6. Excellent problem-solving/ troubleshooting skills.
Entry Level Experience/Education Required:
- Two full years performing maintenance preferably for residential buildings.
Term of job: Indefinite
Hours per week: 40
Basic starting pay wage: Hourly; Level 10 (based on years of experience/skill)
Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
Immediate Supervisor: Maintenance Director
Updated: Fall 2018
Updated: Fall 2022
[Approved by Board 10/27/2022]
Approved by Board 12/6/18