General Job Description:
- The Maintenance Director oversees the operations of Central Level Maintenance and assists with unit-level regular and preventative maintenance programs and collaborates with the Project Director to carry out large-scale work such as Board Approved Projects and House Approved Projects.
- The Maintenance Director is responsible for assisting unit-level managers in meeting BSC and City safety and maintenance guidelines. They are responsible for training Maintenance Managers and providing ongoing support. They work with all central-level maintenance staff to ensure that units (houses and apartments) have effective maintenance programs, maintain reasonable safety standards and support units in effectively responding to fire inspection reports and maintenance issues.
- The Maintenance Director will recommend and approve Home Improvement and House Approved Projects, regularly coordinate the collection of Room Condition Reports and Preventative Maintenance inspections and oversee the coordination of moving crews related to haul away projects and projects needed for capital improvement and seismic work at individual units. The Maintenance Liaison is also responsible for completing additional projects related to capital planning.
JOB MAINTENANCE TASKS
Maintenance Department Support and Supervision:
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Central Maintenance Department's daily operations, including crew schedules, prioritization, and assignment of jobs.
- Oversee a maintenance request database, including assigning jobs, viewing status of jobs, and communicating with students regarding the status of work performed on a daily basis.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate employees within Central Level Maintenance Department in accordance with the BSC EA Contract and Personnel Code.
- In conjunction with the Rochdale & Fenwick Apartment Manager, ensure all maintenance requests at Rochdale/Fenwick are addressed in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with the Project Director to develop recommendations for and monitor the Maintenance Department’s annual budgets ensuring compliance with applicable policies.
- Coordinate follow-up inspections to ensure compliance with City of Berkeley Fire Department Inspection Reports.
- In conjunction with the Operations Manager, regularly review and develop improvements to the Preventative Maintenance Inspection and Room Condition Reports programs and ensure that inspections and reports are completed in a timely fashion.
- Ensure a safe and hazard-free work environment for crew members.
- Carry an emergency telephone and respond to emergency maintenance calls.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Executive Director and/or Operations Manager.
- On a rotating basis in conjunction with the Maintenance Director, Project Director, and Senior Preventative Maintenance Technician, carry and answer the Maintenance Emergency Phone after hours and respond to emergencies as needed.
Maintenance Manager Support:
- In conjunction with the Member Resources Supervisor, develop and conduct Maintenance Manager Training.
- Develop and implement various additional training and resource materials, including workshops, written materials, a Maintenance Manager Google site, training videos, etc.
- Provide ongoing support to Maintenance Managers, acting as a resource and fulfilling all the liaison responsibilities outlined in the Central-Level Support & Supervision Policy.
- Meet individually with all Maintenance Managers at their respective units, as required by the Central-Level Support & Supervision Policy.
- Coordinate and develop curriculum for monthly Maintenance Manager Meetings and additional trainings to ensure they are able to perform their duties.
- Perform regular walk-throughs of units with Maintenance Managers.
- In conjunction with the Maintenance Crew, provide updates to units regarding significant repair projects and anticipated impacts on members.
- Work with Maintenance Managers to ensure unit-level maintenance closets/rooms are kept organized, safe, habitable, and stocked with supplies.
- In conjunction with the Operations Assistant, coordinate pest related exclusionary work at the units, Central Office and Central Warehouse.
- In conjunction with the Operations Manager, act as a resource for training and trouble-shooting relating to the Maintenance Request Website.
- Maintain inventory and request orders of centrally procured maintenance supplies and tools.
- Report to the Operations Manager if any issues arise with maintenance that affect central-level operations or services and ensure that they are promptly addressed.
Dump Run Supervision:
- The Maintenance Director will supervise the Dump Run Coordinator.
Skills/Knowledge Required for Job Performance:
- Experience with Community Service/Organizing
- Conflict Management Skills
- Good at problem solving in a very complex environment.
- Team player
- Proactive about addressing issues.
Entry Level Experience/Education Required:
- Two years of college required.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Previous experience training others required.
- Must demonstrate a familiarity with basic maintenance work.
- Ability to perform duties in a normal office environment and at BSC properties, both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- Ability to talk, listen, stoop, kneel, reach, sit, stand, move, walk on uneven terrain, observe and measure physical attributes of properties, distinguish shades of color, and engage in repetitive motions.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, printer, copier, and telephone.
- Preference is given to an applicant who comes from a background as a Maintenance Manager or other Major Manager in the BSC specifically.
- Trades or Union family background preferred.
Term of job: Indefinite
Hours per week: 40
Starting wage: Hourly, Level 18
Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
Immediate Supervisor: Operations Manager
[Approved by Board 10/27/2022]