IV.P. BSC Scholarship Program
1. The Scholarship Fund
- a. The BSC maintains a Scholarship Fund created by contributions from donors specified for Scholarships. The BSC solicits donations to the Scholarship Fund for the specific purpose of providing support to low-income members in paying a portion of their BSC housing cost. The Scholarship Fund is dedicated to this purpose, and neither its principal nor its earnings are available to meet the operating or capital improvement needs of the BSC.
2. Scholarship Program Funding
- a. The amount of funds available for the scholarship program will be determined on an annual basis, using the following formula: Four percent of the three-year average of the overall value of the Scholarship Fund (calculated at the end of the fiscal year) plus any funds budgeted by the BSC during the annual budgeting process.
- b. CFCom and the BSC Board should consider estimated figures for scholarship programing during each budgeting cycle to determine the amount of funds that should be allocated during BSC budgeting process, based on the members’ goals for scholarship availability.
- c. Ten percent of the amount budgeted by the BSC for scholarship distribution during the annual budgeting process shall be allocated toward the BSC Emergency Grant Program, which shall be distributed as outlined in the Emergency Grant Program Policy, IV.Q.
3. Scholarship Applications
- a. Current and prospective members may apply for scholarships.
- b. Scholarship applications shall be available on the BSC website during the Spring semester and advertised frequently to ensure access to the program.
4. Awarding of Scholarships
- a. All scholarship applications shall be reviewed once per year after Fall/Spring contract offers are sent, but prior to the Fall cancellation deadline. Such review will be coordinated under the direction of the Development Director and Executive Director.
- b. All scholarships shall be awarded based on documented need, taking into consideration other criteria set forth by donors.
- c. The amount of each standard scholarship shall be 1/3 of the member’s BSC rent and/or room and board charges for one semester (e.g. 1/3 of the Fall rent). The amount of each scholarship for homeless or undocumented students will be ⅔ of the member’s BSC rent and/or room and board charges for one semester (e.g. ⅔ of the Fall rent).
- d. Recipients will be notified that they have been awarded a scholarship, given the specific dollar amount, and provided a deadline for claiming the scholarship prior to the Fall cancellation deadline.
- e. Any unclaimed scholarship funds shall be awarded during the Fall to alternate applicants. Such alternate scholarships shall be awarded based on documented need and other criteria set forth by donors. The BSC assignment priority system (i.e. points, priority for DSP/EOP, etc.) shall be used in the event multiple applicants have equal financial need.
- f. Alternate scholarships shall be ½ of the member’s third Fall payment plus ½ of the member’s first Spring payment.
5. Scholarship Distribution
- a. Half of the scholarship award will be credited to member’s accounts in Fall, and the other half in Spring.
- b. Members living in the BSC only for one semester during the relevant academic year will receive the scholarship for that semester only.
6. Support and Leadership Opportunities
- a. ETCom will research and offer optional support and leadership development opportunities to scholarship recipients to aid them in becoming more involved and assuming leadership positions in the BSC community.