I.A.14. ASUC BSC AFFAIRS OFFICER (5/8/2008 BOD)
General Job Description:
The chief responsibility of the ASUC BSC Affairs Officer (hereinafter ASUC Affairs Officer) is to serve as the official liaison between the BSC and the ASUC. The ASUC Affairs Officer will ensure representation of the BSC and its interests in the ASUC by: maintaining consistent visibility in the ASUC Senate, investigating modes of ASUC resources and support for the BSC, supporting any and all BSC Senators in the ASUC, and communicating to the BSC Board of Directors all relevant ASUC activity. The ASUC Affairs Officer will also work with the BSC External Affairs Committee in exploring how the BSC can outreach to the greater U.C. Berkeley campus community through networking with various on-campus groups. S/he will attend all BSC External Affairs Committee meetings and will meet regularly with the BSC Vice President of External Affairs.
- 1. Make contact at the beginning of each semester with the BSC President and Vice President of External Affairs, detailing how the ASUC can help the BSC
- a. Provide the BSC President and Vice President of External Affairs with regular updates on the actions of the ASUC that involve the BSC, offering the assistance and resources of the ASUC.
- 2. Make contact at the beginning of each semester with the ASUC President and External Affairs Vice President, reporting on the major projects of the BSC.
- 3. Maintain an open line of communication between the BSC and the ASUC.
- 4. Appear at a Senate meeting at the beginning of each semester, introducing him/herself and his/her achieved goals and/or plans for the semester.
- 5. Attend all External Affairs Committee meetings
- 6. Attend BSC Board of Directors meetings and ASUC Senate meetings as necessary and as determined by the VPEA.
- 7. Edit and leave an exit document.
- 8. Update a “work log” weekly to be sent to their supervisor for their review. This document will be only for the supervisor and board.
- 9. Continuously update (at least once a month) a manual containing the best practices, projects, weekly tasks, workshops, and other resources necessary to perform the ASUC Affairs Officer. This document is encouraged to be made public.
- 1. Direct any needs of the BSC to the attention of the ASUC Senate, suggesting appropriate courses of action to address said needs.
- 2. Represent the ASUC to the BSC Board of Directors at their regularly scheduled meetings.
- 3. Track and record relations between the BSC and the ASUC (i.e. significant interactions, sponsorships, funding, and won BSC positions) on a Wiki page or similar open source site.
- 4. Educate BSC members on the ASUC’s resources and job opportunities.
- 5. Recruit and support BSC members to represent the BSC in the ASUC Senate or for executive positions in the ASUC.
- 6. Support and assist any and all BSC Senators in the ASUC in drafting and lobbying for bills in the interest of the BSC.
- 7. Network with ASUC Senators as needed.
- 8. Act as a steward/stewardess for the following U.C. Berkeley groups representing the BSC, overseeing the ASUC Spring Budgeting application process and ensuring sponsorship and advocacy for any bills in the interest of the groups:
- a. Friends of the Co-ops
- b. The Co-op Zine
- 9. Support and assist any BSC members seeking to create or fund a U.C. Berkeley group in the interest of the BSC.
- 10. In conjunction with the BSC External Affairs Committee, explore ways in which the BSC can outreach to U.C. Berkeley groups and communities, particularly those historically underrepresented in the BSC.
- 11. All other duties as assigned by the ASUC Senate.
Term of position: Academic Year
Supervisor: Vice President of External Affairs
Hired by: Board election
Expected hours per week: 5 hours/week