I.A.13. CONDUCT COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON (created 5/6/2010)
The chief responsibility of the Conduct Committee Chairperson is to ensure that the decision-making processes of the Conduct Committee are fair, procedurally sound, efficient, sensitive to the member, and well-documented. The ConCom Chair must train the ConCom members, make necessary preparations before each meeting, and fulfill a number of responsibilities to the Board that occur after each meeting.
- 1. Chair all meetings of the Conduct Committee.
- 2. Work to foster in ConCom meetings an environment where dissent and disagreement are both tolerated and tactfully expressed, and where member privacy and sensitivities are respected and accounted for.
- 3. Ensure that all exceptions to policy are brought to the attention of the Board for approval.
- 4. Prior to the ConCom training:
- a. Obtain training in meeting facilitation and, if possible, group dynamics, sensitivity, etc.
- b. Obtain a strong understanding of BSC parliamentary procedure and conduct policies.
- c. Read exit documents, and review the minutes from the previous semester.
- d. Meet with the ED and Member Advocate and together form the AdCom schedule for the semester
- e. Update the training documents.
- f. Initiate communications with ConCom reps and the AA.
- 5. Prior to each meeting:
- a. Fulfill screening committee responsibilities.
- b. Review the policy sections which may apply to the cases that will be heard.
- 6. After each meeting:
- a. Obtain the minutes from the AA.
- b. Summarize the minutes.
- c. Forward the minutes and minutes summary to the VPOp and the President, and note any exceptions which must be approved by the Board.
- 7. Attend portions of Board, Cabinet, or other committee meetings as required by policy and when otherwise necessary.
- 8. Forward to the VPET and VPOp recommendations for policy changes whenever the need for such changes becomes apparent.
- 9. Compile and publish an exit document for your successor, and attach all training materials.
- 10. Maintain the database of ConCom case requests and decisions
Term of position: Academic year (Fall and Spring)13
Supervisor: Vice President of Education & Training
Hired by: Hiring Commission or Supervisor
Expected hours per week: 3.5
Eligibility: Must be a eligible member of the BSC and may not be an executive or member of the Board of Directors.
Requirements: Experience with meeting facilitation preferred.
Working conditions: Personnel Code