The Development Associate is a member position providing specialized support to the Development Director to promote the BSC’s fundraising and alumni engagement goals. The Development Associate will also serve as the Chair of the Development & Alumni Relations Committee (DARCOM), a committee consisting of four other BSC members and the Development Director. The Development Associate will gain professional experience that will strengthen career prospects in the high growth areas of development, fundraising, and nonprofits:
- Learn best practices in fundraising, donor stewardship and alumni relationships
- Learn how to use Salesforce, our alumni database, to maintain the integrity and thoroughness of our alumni and donor data
- Gain leadership experience (with coaching and support from the Development Director) as the Chair of our Development & Alumni Relations Committee
- Gain event planning experience and
- Have the opportunity to make important contacts from our donor base.
You can also expect to learn skills such as writing for different audiences, mobilizing the BSC community around our mission and priorities, project management, balancing priorities, managing budgets, compassionate leadership, committee management, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job as Development Associate may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.
The majority of work hours must be performed in Central Office during normal business hours, with occasional evening, weekend, and offsite work. Basic functions include:
- Write correspondence, articles, occasional grant applications, and other communications as directed by the Development Director.
- Process donations and prepare and send donation acknowledgments,
- Perform administrative functions, clerical work, and manage projects as requested by the Development Director
- Learn to effectively use and assist the Development Director in maintaining the integrity and robustness of the alumni database.
- Assist the Development Director in preparing data and reports for the Executive Director and/or EACom.
- Assist the Development Director in coordinating alumni events.
- Chair the Development & Alumni Relations Committee (DARCom) and support committee members in planning and executing alumni and donor engagement activities, including volunteer opportunities, events, and fundraising campaigns.
- Provide leadership in DARCom’s efforts to educate and support the BSC Board and unit-level managers in planning and executing decentralized alumni engagement efforts.
- Serve as DARCom’s liaison with the BSC Board of Directors and build a collaborative relationship with the Vice President of External Affairs (or other delegate of the BSC President).
You are passionate about the BSC’s mission and would enjoy communicating the importance of the BSC’s work to alumni and other BSC members. You are a strong writer. You have excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively and professionally with a diverse group of students, staff, and alumni. You like to be organized, detail-oriented, and are able to effectively prioritize multiple tasks with competing deadlines. You are enthusiastic about working and supporting a small group of other BSC members to build a strong and collegial DARCOM team. You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel or Google suites. Previous experience with fundraising and/or interest in fundraising is preferred. You must be a current member of the BSC and meet student eligibility guidelines to hold this position. You cannot be on the Board of Directors.
This is an 15-hour/week position, compensated with a rent credit stipend at $18/hour for 10 hours/week and fulfilling your five-hours/week workshift requirement. Apartment dwellers and summer residents will receive an additional rent credit stipend for the five workshift hours (at $18/hour), as this job does not replace the workshift requirement in these instances. If for whatever reason this job begins mid-semester, the stipend will be prorated.