Administrative Committee Chair
The chief responsibility of the Administrative Committee (AdCom) Chair is to ensure that the decision-making processes of the Administrative Committee are fair, procedurally sound, efficient, sensitive to the member, and well documented. The AdCom Chair must train AdCom members, make necessary preparations before each meeting, attend all AdCom meetings, AdCom screening meetings, and AdCom appeals meetings.
1. Chair all meetings of AdCom and the Administrative Appeals Body.
2. Ensure meetings are run according to policy while maintaining confidentiality and respect for members and their situations.
3. Meet with the Operations Manager and Administrative Member Advisor and together form the AdCom schedule for the semester.
4. Prepare for AdCom meetings:
- a. In collaboration with the Administrative Member Advisor, ensure all cases are prepared for AdCom meetings.
- b. Fulfill screening committee responsibilities.
- c. Review the policy sections which may apply to the cases that will be heard.
- d. Notify members of the outcome of their request and appeal rights (if applicable) via email no later than 24 hours after the meeting.
5. AdCom Appeals Body training:
- a. Obtain training in meeting facilitation and, if possible, group dynamics, sensitivity, etc.
- b. Obtain a strong understanding of BSC parliamentary procedure, by-laws, policies (with an emphasis on those in the Administrative Code), and relevant general practices.
- c. Read exit documents, and review the minutes from the previous semester.
- d. Update the training documents.
6. Participate in appeal screenings and/or appeals as required by policy.
7. Attend portions of Board, Cabinet, and IACom meetings as required by policy and when otherwise necessary.
8. Forward to the VPIA recommendations for policy changes whenever the need for such a change becomes apparent, e.g. when AdCom finds the need to make an exception.
9. Compile and publish an exit document for the next AdCom Chair and attach all training materials.
10. Along with the Operations Manager, maintain statistics of AdCom case requests and decisions. Make statistics available to IACom as outlined in policy.
This job is open to co-op members only and we are looking for someone with the ability to become fluent and consistently and fairly apply BSC policy. This job requires a lot of patience and responsibility. You must be able to work with a diverse group of people. You will need to familiarize yourself with the parliamentary procedures, policies, and practices of the BSC. You may not be a member of the Board of Directors and hold a central level job. You must be a current BSC member and meet student eligibility guidelines to hold this position.
This is a 5-hour/week position, compensated with a rent credit stipend equivalent to $18.00/hour. Please note, this job does not fulfill the workshift requirement for residents at either the houses or apartments. If for whatever reason this job begins mid-semester, the stipend will be prorated.