General Job Description:
The Accounting Assistant is primarily responsible for performing cost distribution as part of the invoice payment process. They are responsible for receiving, reconciling, and entering data from delivery records, allocating expenses to different cost centers, reconciling invoices prior to vendor payment, and maintaining cost allocation records. They are also responsible for helping respond to house-level manager inquiries regarding posted expenses, providing coverage in the Accounting Department, and other duties as assigned by the Accounting/Office Supervisor and/or Finance & Accounting Manager.
- Receive delivery records from CFS, reconcile discrepancies between the master and unit delivery sheets, and enter verified delivery data.
- Process invoices from vendors and ensure that all expenses are accurately distributed to the appropriate cost center and/or accounted for in inventory.
- Maintain and manage a log of invoices to ensure that expense information is reported to units/departments and coordinate with the A/P Specialist to ensure that vendors are paid in a timely fashion.
- Maintain organized delivery and cost distribution records and ensure that these items are filed with associated purchasing and packing slip documentation, per the BSC Procurement Policy.
- Prepare cost/valuation reports for physical inventory on-hand on a semesterly and annual basis.
- Prepare journal entries related to CFS purchases and cost distributions for review and posting by the Finance & Accounting Manager.
- Under the direction of the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager, assist with the preparation of PBC audit schedules and other reports as part of the annual audit process.
- Provide assistance in the development of custom reports and tools to perform cost distribution and inventory management and/or other Accounting Department functions, under the direction of the Accounting/Office Supervisor and senior management.
- Provide back-up coverage for the Accounting Department including answering phones and responding to in person requests for service, as needed.
- Assist with other activities related to Accounts Payable, as needed.
- Others duties as assigned by the Accounting/Office Supervisor and/or Finance & Accounting Manager.
Skills/Knowledge Required for Job Performance:
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Attention to detail and follow-through.
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel and database experience
- Ability to type at least 60 wpm and operate a 10-key calculator quickly and accurately.
- Ability to acquire familiarity with BSC vendors, chart of accounts, and regularly ordered goods/services.
- Ability to work independently, adhere to deadlines, and prioritize multiple demands.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Patience, thoroughness, and tact.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Desire and ability to work in a student-run, democratic, cooperative organization
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Entry Level Experience/Education Required:
- At least 6 months previous bookkeeping or accounting experience,
- At least 1 year administrative or office experience.
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
Additional Requirements: Work is performed in a normal office environment and requires the ability to operate a computer keyboard, 10-key calculator, and engage in repetitive motions.
Term of Job: Indefinite
Expected Hours per week: 24, Non-Exempt
Basic Wage Range: Hourly, Level 4 through 10
Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
Immediate Supervisor: Accounting/Office Supervisor
Contract: BSC EA
Revised: Fall 2017