1. The cost of Fall and Spring boarding contracts for apartment residents shall be reduced by the amount that they already pay as overhead in their rent.
2. A boarder shall be charged $25.00 plus 3 days of food following cancellation of their contract.
3. The deposit for boarders shall be the same as for room and board members.
4. Houses must require boarders to do workshifts. 5-night boarders are required to do two hours of workshifts per week. Full boarders are required to do three hours of workshifts per week. The down hour termination cap is 10 hours for all boarders.
5. Boarders may opt for nineteen meals a week (full board) or five meals a week (dinner only).
6. A full boarder may become a dinner boarder without penalty. They must notify the BSC Housing Department three days in advance of their change.
7. A boarder who has terminated their contract during the term without meeting any of the provisions of IV.B.1. shall be responsible for paying three days board charges following the date of written notice to the BSC Housing Department and $25.00 (as of Spring 2008) of their deposit shall be retained by the BSC as per the boarding contract.
8. All boarders shall be charged from the day they commence boarding. See section IX.D
XXIII.B. HOUSE ASSIGNMENT
1. Each house council may specify how many boarders they are willing to have assigned by the central level. If a house does not specify to the central office the number of boarders they want assigned, the central office will cap the number of boarders at twenty percent of the house’s room capacity.
2. Members living at Rochdale Village, Fenwick Weaver’s Village, and Northside Apartments will be given preferential assignment as boarders.
3. Up to seven centralized boarding spots at the African American Theme House will be reserved for winners of the Don Foster Boarder Scholarship. Afro house may not reserve all of their centralized boarding spots for scholarship recipients.
- a. Current members of the UC Berkeley African American Theme Program are eligible for the scholarship. Recipients will be determined by the scholarship committee within the house.
- b. The Housing Supervisor will be notified of the recipients and alternates seven days prior to the start of each semester.
- c. Scholarship recipients will have five business days to sign their contract once boarder applications are open. If some spaces remain unclaimed after five days, alternates will be given an additional two days to sign a contract.
- d. Scholarship recipients will pay their own security deposit and application fee. The scholarship funding will be paid to the BSC from Afro house after recipients have signed their contracts, but within the first two weeks of the contract period.
4. All decentralized boarders must be approved by house council.
1. House-level boarders are not members and do not receive priority.
2. All central-level boarders shall receive housing priority in housing assignment as outlined in Policy Section II.V.Assignment of Reservations. Boarders must have a contract for at least 70 days to get priority.
[Board approved 4/16/15.]