General Job Description: The primary function of the Webmaster is to maintain the BSC website so that the organization maintains a positive public image, while conveying important information to and facilitating transactions with prospective and current members, managers, alumni, and other external stakeholders. The Webmaster also supports and maintains BSC web-based applications and facilitates the organization’s use of Google Applications to address communications needs and foster online collaboration.
Specific Job Duties:
- 1. Website Management: Oversee the design, development and maintenance of the BSC website as a vehicle for communications with prospective and current members, managers, and BSC leaders about the activities and priorities of the BSC, including:
- a. Ensure that all information on the website is up-to-date, eye-catching, interesting, informative, positive, and reflects the Board-approved name, logo, and design standards.
- b. Guide the creation and implementation of long-term plans to update and improve the BSC website, with improved user interfaces and new website functionality that meets the changing needs of the BSC.
- c. Troubleshoot website operations; track site usage/statistics, and monitor site performance.
- d. Monitor and improve website security
- e. Manage internal users and user permissions; support users in posting content to the website, as well as ensure the BSC’s and users’ information and privacy are protected.
- f. Maintain the user interfaces, the security, and the functionality of the website, for example, by addressing error messages, fixing “links”, and implementing security updates.
- g. Ensure the accessibility and functionality of the BSC’s website by maintaining and regularly backing up content form the BSC’s web-hosting service.
- h. Actively solicit and incorporate new content for the website.
- 2. Web-Based Application Support:
- 3. Management of Supporting Resources. Manage the internal and external software infrastructure and business relationships on which the BSC’s online communication and collaboration depend, including, for example:
- a. A web hosting service for various custom, web-based applications and the main BSC website.
- b. An Open Source Content Management System for our website (e.g. Drupal) and various extensions built inside of the Content Management System to increase functionality.
- c. BSC’s ability to use the Google Applications Education Edition.
- d. BSC’s domain names (including bsc.coop and berkeleystudentcooperative.org).
- e. Third party consulting support for web development.
- 4. BSC Email System Management: Develop and maintain the bsc.coop email system (currently implemented through Google Apps’ gmail service) as an effective tool for internal communications, including:
- a. Maximize the use of contacts and other mail administration tools available from the Gmail hosted email system.
- b. Create and maintain systems for transferring bsc.coop email addresses as member positions turnover.
- c. Establish and maintain mechanisms for feedback and help through email, which currently includes responding (with the Operations Manager) to email inquiries directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- d. Develop and update an email communication guide to facilitate the use of and assist users in maximizing the functionality of the email system.
- 5. User Support and Training: Act as an online communications resource for house-level officers, Board, executives, staff and other BSC leaders to ensure the effective use of the website and Google Applications including, for example, in-person trainings, training videos, online tutorials, help forums, etc.
- 6. Social Media Management: Manage and enhance the BSC’s use of other online social media to achieve its communications goals, as outlined in the above-mentioned communications plan.
- 7. Design Standards: Promote the consistent use of the BSC design standards (including logo and style guide) across all types of BSC electronic communications.
- 8. General Duties:
- a. Respond to emails or formal communications within 2 business days.
- b. Other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager.
- 1. College degree or equivalent.
- 2. Three years professional experience as a webmaster, information technology specialist, or comparable position.
- 3. Excellent writing and editing skills.
- 4. Experience with Google Applications, including Gmail, docs, sites, groups, and calendar.
- 5. Command of the use of HTML, CSS, and other mark-up languages.
- 7. Fluent in the use of one or more Frameworks and/or web Content Management Systems, such as Laravel or Drupal.
- 8. Fluent in the use of desktop publishing software, such as InDesign.
- 9. Experience with using multiple web browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.)
- 10. Understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) web design standards, accessibility, and usability.
- 11. Ability to troubleshoot problems with a web hosting service, utilize hosting service help functions (chat, email, forum, etc), leverage hosting service administrative interfaces (such as CPanel) to fulfill general job requirements, including for example to back-up the website, restore a previous version of the website, and maintain adequate security
- 12. Experience with online payment methods and e-commerce, particularly for collecting and managing online donations.
- 1. BA or graduate work in computer science, software engineering, information science/management, communications (with a strong emphasis in electronic communication), or comparable field.
- 2. Experience managing an organization’s use of Google Applications, including Gmail, docs, sites, groups, and calendar (especially the Education Edition).
- 3. Command of other markup languages, including MediaWiki markup.
- 4. Familiarity with free and open-source software use and development.
- 5. Knowledge of Linux-based operating systems for web server use.
- 6. Experience living in and/or working with cooperatives.
Additional Requirements: Work is performed in a normal office environment and requires the ability to operate a computer keyboard and engage in repetitive motions.
Hours per Week: 20 hours
Basic Wage: Level 11 to 17
Immediate Supervisor: Operations Manager
Hired By: Staff Hiring Committee
Terms of and Conditions of Employment: BSC Employee Association Contract