I. DEFINITIONS AND CLASSIFICATIONS OF POSITIONS
A. REGULAR EMPLOYEE
A full or part-time employee of the BSC, paid on an hourly or salaried basis.
- Union Employee – An employee whose benefits and rights are governed by a union agreement with the Hotel, Restaurant, and Bartenders Union, Local 28. Disputes may be appealed by such employees via either BSC or union grievance procedures.
- Manager – The Executive Director and Operations Manager.
- Department Supervisor – Salaried employees responsible for the supervision of other employees in their department.
- Salaried Employee – Those Regular Employees paid on a salaried basis.
- Hourly Employee – Those Regular Employees paid on an hourly or daily basis.
- Employee -- “Employee” as used in the Personnel Code, shall apply only to Central Level Non-Managerial Employees as defined above, except where specifically stated otherwise.
B. MEMBER EMPLOYEE (Room & Board Employee under EA Contract)
Someone employed by the BSC who is compensated in other than a wage form (i.e. workshift or Room and Board), with the exception of the President and Vice Presidents, and other positions designated by the Board of Directors.
- It is assumed that members working in Room and Board positions can be expected to give a minimum time commitment of 6 months on the job unless otherwise stated in the position’s job description.
- a. Hourly employees – Those expected to work a specific number of hours per week, regardless of the tasks performed.
- b. Salaried employees – Those expected to perform specific tasks, regardless of the number of hours involved.
- Workshift Employee – A member who performs all or part of his/her workshift obligation in a position hired at the Central Level.
C. HOUSE LEVEL EMPLOYEES (Room & Board Employee under EA Contract)
Someone elected or hired by a house who is compensated in other than a wage form (i.e. workshift or room and board).
- It is assumed that members working in Room and Board positions can be expected to give a minimum time commitment of one semester on the job unless otherwise stated in the position’s job description.
D. TEMPORARY EMPLOYEES
An employee who is hired either on an on-call basis or for less than one year, compensated hourly, at either full or part-time.
- Replacement – Persons who are replacements for employees on leaves of absence.
- . Short-Term Assistant – Persons hired to deal with additional workloads, for not more than four weeks.
- Temporary employees who have previously been hired under Section IV. E. or F. of the BSC Personnel Code shall be allowed to work up to full time for up to four calendar months, cumulative over their lifetime. After four cumulative calendar months, these employees may work up to 25 hours per week (or no more than 400 hours during a four month period).
- Temporary employees who have been hired under Section IV. E., F., or G. shall not be allowed to work more than four calendar months, cumulative over their lifetime, without being formally hired under Sections IV. E. or F.
- Temporary employees are not eligible for benefits.
As used in the Personnel Code, “spouse” shall include any partner to whom the employee is legally married, or any domestic partner coverable by our insurance provider. (revised Nov 16, 2006 BOD)
F. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
“Executive Director” as used in the Personnel Code shall refer to the Executive Director or his/her designee(s). The Executive Director shall be responsible for all actions taken by his/her designee(s).
G. EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION
The BSC Employee Association shall be that body recognized by the BSC as bargaining agent for Regular and Temporary Employees (except Union Employees), as described in Section X, Employee Association.
H. EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION CONTRACT (EA CONTRACT)
Contract which defines terms and conditions of personnel agreements established between EA and the BSC.
I. PERSONNEL AND OPERATIONS COMMITTEE
J. PERSONNEL APPEALS COMMITTEE (See XIII.C., Personnel Appeals Committee)
The primary body that hears personnel appeals and interprets the personnel code.
K. SPECIAL DISMISSAL COMMITTEE (See VI.D.2, Dismissal of Regular Employees & Room & Board Employees)
Special committee for dismissals of employees.
L. INVESTIGATIVE REVIEW COMMITTEE (See EA Contract 18.A.1. & 18.A.11. under “Dismissals & Discipline”)
Special investigative committee convened for the disciplining or removal of a Manager (i.e. ED or OM)
M. BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT (See EA Contract 18.B.6. under “Dismissals & Discipline”)
Body that handles disputes between the BSC and Employees concerning the dismissal of an employee.
N. HIRING COMMISSION (See XIII.B., Hiring Commission)
The body that handles BSC Hirings