Accounts Payable Specialist
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices according to established policies and procedures to ensure that BSC vendors and other entities are paid in an efficient, timely, and accurate manner. They prepare and process all payment requests and work with co-workers, student leaders, and vendors to ensure compliance with BSC documentation and approval processes and work to resolve discrepancies. They train and support unit-level managers in the appropriate reimbursement, purchase order card, and unit-level checking account procedures and reconcile unit-level checking accounts each month. They assist with the training and supervision of central level workshifters assigned to the Accounting Department, as needed. They assist with bi-weekly expense reporting, monthly closings, the annual audit process, provide reports to senior management, and perform other tasks, projects, and duties assigned by the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Accounts Payable and general ledger systems, chart of accounts, and generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Familiarity with and ability to quickly learn and utilize accounting software programs.
- Intermediate skill using Microsoft Office suite and advanced skill using Excel.
- Intermediate skill with Google Educational Suite applications (i.e. email, calendar, drive, etc.)
- Must possess strong organizational, record-keeping, and time management skills.
- Attention to fine detail and the ability to closely follow established policies and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, analyze workflow, and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Discretion, sound decision-making skills, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills and the ability to interact with members and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Fast and accurate use of 10-key calculator.
- Ability to type at least 60 wpm.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- The ability to effectively teach, train, and supervise student workers.
- Desire and ability to work in a student-run, democratic, cooperative organization.
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive work environment.
ENTRY-LEVEL EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION REQUIRED:
- Four years college, preferably in Accounting, Finance, and/or Business Management.
- Two years Accounts Payable experience.
- Previous training or supervisory experience preferred.
Work is performed in a normal office environment and requires the ability to operate a computer keyboard, 10-key calculator, and engage in repetitive motions.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position with a competitive hourly pay rate based on prior experience and skill level, with a minimum starting wage of $24.29/hour. Benefits and other conditions of employment are pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement, which currently provides for annual cost-of-living pay increases, annual performance-based raises and/or bonuses, paid health and dental insurance for employee and dependents, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, long-term disability and life insurance, and a generous retirement benefits program.