Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member
From BSC PolicyJump to navigationJump to search
General Job Description: A Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew member performs basic maintenance, repair and improvement work at the Rochdale & Fenwick apartment complexes and assists in training apartment student crew members in repair and maintenance techniques. A Rochdale/Fenwick Crew member must possess the ability and desire to provide excellent customer service and work effectively in a cooperative, student-run organization.
Job Maintenance Tasks:
- Maintenance Responsibilities:
- 1. Provide prompt and effective response to the maintenance needs of the Rochdale & Fenwick apartment complexes.
- 2. Perform basic repairs and improvements related to plumbing, heating and mechanical, appliance repair, locksmithing, fire safety, pest-control exclusionary work, carpentry, drywall, and painting.
- 3. Develop basic written plans/drawings of work to be performed.
- 4. Daily use of a maintenance request database, including viewing assigned jobs, updating work performed on assigned jobs and communicating with students regarding status of a job.
- 5. Assist with Preventative Maintenance Inspections and Room Condition Reports and associated follow-up repairs, as needed.
- 6. Regularly monitor the condition and report the needs of the Rochdale & Fenwick apartment complexes to the Rochdale & Fenwick Apartment Manager in order to ensure that maintenance issues are addressed.
- 7. Coordinate with outside vendors brought in to perform regular repairs and services.
- 8. Assist with dump runs and with haul away vendors to support the apartments need to remove large items including furniture, equipment, trash and lawn debris.
- 9. Other duties as assigned by Rochdale & Fenwick Apartment Manager.
- Training Responsibilities:
- 1. In conjunction with the CM Maintenance Crew and Rochdale & Fenwick Apartment Manager, support and mentor the student apartment maintenance crew.
- 2. Plan and coordinate workshops for apartment residents on basic home improvement tasks such as patching, painting, making window screens, etc.
- 3. Attend regular CM Maintenance Crew meetings and monthly BSC Staff meetings.
- 4. Participate in ongoing personal training and development opportunities.
- Skills/Knowledge Required for job performance:
- 1. Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- 2. Ability to work well with a diverse array of people, and students in particular.
- 3. Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- 4. Must be able to learn new skills and information quickly and work well under pressure.
- 5. Ability to become thoroughly familiar with the buildings, major building systems, and most common maintenance issues.
- 6. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- 7. Basic skill with Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel), email, google applications, and familiarity with database programs.
- 8. Basic math skills.
- 9. Valid California Driver's License and ability to drive a truck.
- Entry Level Experience/Education required:
- 1. Two years of college attendance or equivalent experience working in a college environment.
- 2. One year (full-time equivalent) experience performing basic-level maintenance for residential buildings.
- Physical Requirements:
- 1. Ability to perform duties in a normal office environment and at BSC properties, both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- 2. Ability to talk, listen, stoop, kneel, reach, sit, stand, move, walk on uneven terrain, observe and measure physical attributes of properties, distinguish shades of color, and engage in repetitive motions.
- 3. Ability to lift 60 pounds.
- 4. Ability to operate a computer keyboard, printer, copier, and telephone.
- Additional Requirements:
- 1. Willingness and ability to carry a mobile phone and respond to call when away from the office environment (during regular working hours).
- 2. Desire to work with students in a student-controlled environment.
- Term of job: Indefinite
- Hours per week: 20
- Basic pay wage: Hourly, Level 5-8 ($19.83 - $22.95)
- Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
- Immediate Supervisor: Rochdale & Fenwick Apartment Manager
- Contract: BSCEA
Approved by Board 11/8/18