Accounts Payable Specialist
General Job Description:
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices according to established policies and procedures to ensure that BSC vendors and other entities are paid in an efficient, timely, and accurate manner. They prepare and process all payment requests and work with co-workers, student leaders, and vendors to ensure compliance with BSC documentation and approval processes and work to resolve discrepancies. They train and support unit-level managers in the appropriate reimbursement, purchase order card, and unit-level checking account procedures and reconcile unit-level checking accounts each month. They assist with the training and supervision of central level workshifters assigned to the Accounting Department, as needed. They assist with bi-weekly expense reporting, monthly closings, the annual audit process, provide reports to senior management, and perform other tasks, projects, and duties assigned by the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager.
Job Maintenance Tasks:
- Set up and maintain thorough and accurate vendor accounts and files, in accordance with BSC policies.
- Collect and file contracts, IRS forms, and insurance requirements, enter into online log, and monitor contract payments.
- Reconcile vendors statements; research and correct discrepancies.
- Review all invoices (including BSC credit cards and PO Cards), check requests, ACH debits, and deposit refunds for appropriate documentation, coding, and approval prior to processing.
- Prioritize invoices according to cash discount potential and/or payment terms.
- Communicate with all BSC departments (CFS, CM, CO) and unit-level managers to # ensure that all invoices are paid by vendor terms.
- Process checks for all invoices and other BSC payables during the weekly check run and/or as needed and maintain invoice and check files.
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all required signatures for checks, and distribute/mail checks accordingly.
- Compile all required documentation, ensure appropriate coding and approval, and prepare journal entries for the appropriate processing of ACH vendor payments.
- Respond to all vendor inquiries regarding payments and discrepancies.
- Assist the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager with monthly closings and the preparation of trial balance for quarterly and annual reporting.
- Responsible for the maintenance of required vendor documentation such as W-9s, 1099 reporting, and filing the yearly 1096 summary.
- Balance weekly Central Food & Supplies summaries, Central Level Workshift Reports, and monthly mileage reimbursement requests
- Train unit level managers at beginning of each semester regarding unit-level finance policies related to the proper maintenance of unit-level checking accounts, purchase order cards, and reimbursements and provide on-going support, as needed.
- Collect unit-level checking account documentation, review for compliance with BSC policies, coding, and approval requirements, and reconcile all accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and issue purchase order cards for unit-level managers and staff each semester.
- Assist the Finance & Accounting Manager in the preparation of bi-weekly decentralization reports by generating and inputting relevant expense data.
- Seek discount opportunities from vendors to reduce expenses (e.g. by managing Costco Card rebates and other discount/rebate opportunities)
- Under the direction of the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager, prepare and provide analysis for PBC audit schedules related to Accounts Payable and/or other reports, as part of the annual audit process.
- Assist the Accounting/Office Supervisor with office management tasks, including, but not limited to:
- a. Maintenance of office equipment, e.g. printers, copy machines, postage meter, typewriter, etc.
- b. Organization and disbursal of office supplies
- c. Vehicle check out and checking mileage forms
- 21. Assist with the training and supervision of Accounting Department workshifters.
- 22. Upload cost distribution batches into the accounting database to appropriately post/distribute charges and assist the with the CFS cost distribution process, as needed.
- 23. Prepare journal entries related to Accounts Payable for review and posting by the Finance & Accounting Manager.
- 24. Develop custom reports and tools to assist with Accounts Payable and/or other Accounting Department functions, under the direction of and with the assistance of the Accounting/Office Supervisor and Finance & Accounting Manager.
- 25. Other duties as assigned by the Accounting/Office Supervisor and/or Finance & Accounting Manager.
Relationship with Board/Membership:
- Respond to inquiries from unit-level managers via email, phone, and in person regarding invoices and charges to unit-level accounts.
- Keep relevant statistics and report to Board and/or senior management as necessary.
Skills/Knowledge Required for Job Performance:
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Accounts Payable and general ledger systems, chart of accounts, and generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Familiarity with and ability to quickly learn and utilize accounting software programs.
- Intermediate skill using Microsoft Office suite and advanced skill using Excel.
- Intermediate skill with Google Educational Suite applications (i.e. email, calendar, drive, etc.)
- Must possess strong organizational, record-keeping, and time management skills.
- Attention to fine detail and the ability to closely follow established policies and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, analyze workflow, and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Discretion, sound decision-making skills, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills and the ability to interact with members and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Fast and accurate use of 10-key calculator.
- Ability to type at least 60 wpm.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- The ability to effective teach, train, and supervise student workers.
- Desire and ability to work in a student-run, democratic, cooperative organization.
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Entry Level Experience/Education Required:
- Four years college, preferably in Accounting, Finance, and/or Business Management.
- Two years Accounts Payable experience.
- Previous training or supervisory experience preferred.
Work is performed in a normal office environment and requires the ability to operate a computer keyboard, 10-key calculator, and engage in repetitive motions.
Term of Job: Indefinite
Expected Hours per Week: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Basic Wage Range: Hourly, Level 8 through 12
Hired by: Staff Hiring Committee
Immediate Supervisor: Accounting/Office Supervisor
Contract: BSC EA
Revised: Fall 2017